The Four Rivers Environmental Coalition
The Four Rivers Environmental Coalition is an alliance of public and private organizations. Its purpose is to advocate, educate and plan for the protection of the natural resources and biodiversity in the watersheds of the four rivers region of northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. The Rock, Kishwaukee, Sugar and Pecatonica are each unique and beautiful rivers rich with historical, recreational and biological value. The goal of the FREC is to provide a platform for partnership and leadership in the protection of these natural assets that are critical to this area’s economy and health.
Comprised of over 35 organizations in an area made up of the watersheds of the Rock, Sugar, Pecatonica and Kishwaukee Rivers in north central Illinois and southern Wisconsin FREC’s vision and mission is to:
- Demonstrate the needs and benefits of open space advocacy by supporting regional-wide planning for the preservation of open spaces, park and recreational opportunities.
- Provide a source for scientifically sound information to assist decision makers in devising policy and actions concerning the protection, acquisition, restoration and management of natural areas and open spaces.
- Promote, coordinate and facilitate the restoration, management, and protection of existing and future natural areas.
- Increase the public’s awareness and understanding of our regions biodiversity by developing, coordinating, and promoting environmental education programs and events for life long learning.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with private sectors, corporations, and businesses to provide financial resources for the continuation of economic and quality of life benefits for all.
- Meetings are held on the last Wednesday of each odd numbered month at the Winnebago County Forest Preserve District office, 5500 Northrock Drive, Rockford, IL 61103. For more information, contact: 815/877-6100, email@example.com
Four Rivers Environmental Coalition Projects and Initiatives
Coming in June 2013! A River Gathering: Spirit of the River June 20-22, 2013 to celebrate the ecology, beauty, and recreation of our region’s greatest natural assets. Registration begins April 1,2013. Download Registration Packet and event info here!
Into the Wild natural areas series in
The Rock River Times
Moral Ground: Ethical Action for a Planet In Peril Community Book Discussion
October 30, 2010
Co-Sponsor Public Forum for Winnebago County Forest Preserve candidates (with Blackhawk Sierra Club)
September 27, 2010
Winnebago County Fair
Co-Sponsor of 2009 Winnebago County Green Business Awards
Celebrate Earth Regional Earth Day
April – May 2009
Annual Earth Day Community Celebration with Rock Valley College
April 24, 2010
Leave No Child Inside series in
The Rock River Times, 2009
BioBlitz, Day of Discovery
Byron Forest Preserve
May 17 2008
Green Harvest Partnership with Cliffbreaker’s Restaurant to support local environmental organizations
August – September 2007
BioBlitz, Day of Discovery
Page Park, Rockford, IL
May 11, 2007
Operation Migration Whooping Crane Conservation Public Presentation
October 10, 2006 at Burpee Museum
Publication of Educator’s Guide to FREC Environmental Education Programs
Four Rivers For Life poster project
April through December 2005
Chemical Free Lawn Maintenance
FREC quarterly Calendar of Events
16,000 distributed annually